Just thought I'd update the list on the status of my DHCP lease..
it seems it's a network card issue. I've got 2 NE2000 compatible
ISA cards in here, and it seems the settings on one of them got
corrupted (or could Cogeco Cable be blocking the MAC?). Anyway,
a simple switch to the other (by reversing the module loading order,
and the cables on the back) fixed the problem.. though I wonder for
how long. Anyone heard of anything similar? Can settings on the card
be changed by a remote host? Is there anything that could cause the
settings to change?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Cogeco might be
stonewalling my card. If that's the case, they're likely to do the
same to this one. heh.. or am I just paranoid?

Regards,
--
JCA

--- Brock Nanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think I'd be tempted to look at dhclient instead.  I've had similar
> problems with pump on the Shaw network.  It may even be related to
> the
> 3c509 NIC's I have, but in previous LEAF versions (eiger, eigerstein)
> things worked properly (with the newer version of dhclient).
>
> My symptom was that 3 times out of 4 (or so) I couldn't get a lease
> on
> boot.  After boot I could run pump and get the lease, although not
> always.  I did have an occasion when I couldn't get one for a couple
> of
> days after some initial success.  I changed to another 3c509 and
> haven't
> had this happen since.
>
> Looking back at it, out of 3 3c509's, all have managed to obtain
> leases.
> One was unlikely to get one at boot but could when pump was run
> manually
> after.  Another worked for a few days, then refused to get a lease by
> any method.  The third has run flawlessly.  The questionable NIC's
> have
> found homes in other projects and have worked just fine (where no
> Shaw
> dhcp is required!), so they appear to be sound.
>
> So, while I have trouble believing the characteristics of the
> particular
> NIC can be the problem, I'm starting to wonder... Until I installed
> the
> last NIC I was convinced I'd be going to dhclient.  If you do try it,
> let me know if this solved the problem - I'm curious now!  I may go
> dhclient just for peace of mind...
>
> Brock

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com