Eric Wolzak and Brad Fritz wrote:
<snip>
> > I also updated my /etc/localtime file so that my clock would read my
> > local time.
> >
> That would be the solution but what did you put there ;=)
> try date    if you've got your localtime, then everything is ok.
> You should get the zoneinfo file from a linux distro, corresponding to your timezone.
> Copy this about 1Kb large file to f.e /usr/share/zoneinfo.

It looks like this problem has been solved.  I just wanted to point out
some time resources. Charles has conveniently located these
/usr/share/zoneinfo files at
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/kernels/zoneinfo/.  There is also a
tz.lrp package.

This site may will help you pick US zones http://www.time.gov/.  I found
these links illuminating http://www.time.gov/exhibits.html.

If you have Windows clients that you want to sync to your firewall, you
can use http://www.oneguycoding.com/automachron/ in your
systray.  External time server lists can be found at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1.htm
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2.htm

I just fixed my date this weekend.  I used just a file out of
/usr/share/zoneinfo( I had access to a Linux box).  Arizona doesn't do
daylight saving time.  So I copied MTS7MDT to /etc/localtime.    This
technique saves some space especially for floppy users. All you have to
do is then backup etc.lrp.

> make /etc/localtime a symbolic link to /usr/share/zoneinfo.
> now date will no longer show 16:21 UTC but 9:21 whatsyourtimezone.
> The logging is also in localtime.
> don't forget to backup root and etc.
>
> > I noticed my logs seem to be using UTC for the time stamp.  Do you have
> > any information that would allow me to use my local time for logging?

As Jeff Newmiller pointed out a restart of logging is required.

> > Having to subtract 7 hours every time I want to analyze my log file is

The default version of the file provided in /etc/localtime may have been
GMT+0.

> > getting to be a drag.
> >
> This is correct
>
> regards