Hi Ray

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote the following at 18:13
06.06.2002:
>Message: 11
>Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:47:27 -0700
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: Ray Olszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: RE: [leaf-user] Using HOSTS file
>
>At 09:45 AM 6/6/02 +0200, Erich Titl wrote:
>[...]
> >>file
> >
> >You will have to implement your own DNS server to do that. This is not a
> >trivial task because you don't own DNS2GO.
> >It might be better to register your own domain and then you can basically
> >do with it what you want.
> >
> >For exampe I own think.ch, it is hosted at zoneedit.com, but for my
> >internal network I override it with my own DNS server
>
>Huh? DNS is just a state of mind. You don't need to "own" a domain to
>override its resolution locally. And while it's *usually* not a good idea
>to supersede the public DNS servers for domains you don't own, the original
>poster should face no special *technical * problems in arranging for an
>on-LAN DNS server to be authoritative (locally, not globally - globally
>DOES require that you "own" the domain) for the domain mullan.dns2go.com .
>Full-size BIND can do this trivially easily, and I would expect the
>tinydns/dnscache combo that someone else suggested can manage it too.

Of course you are right, I just don't feel too comfortable to mess up
foreign territory. I still believe it is worth to have your own domain if
you want to play with DNS.

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024  8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16