Ray =>

Thank you, again . . .

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Thanks for the additional information. I see you have the rules you were
> describing at the top of the input chain and before the only ACCEPT rule in
> the output chains, so you should not be having order problems with them.
> And all the interface specifications appear to be correct.
>
> The "problem" connections you show below are all from one IP address,
> namely 192.168.13.103 . This causes me to wonder about one (admittedly
> remote) possibility ... do you KNOW that the connections are actually
> active with this ruleset in place? That is, might they be old connections
> that were made before you added the blocking rules and restarted the
> firewall, and are just sitting there idle because they haven't hit the MASQ
> timeout yet?

Yes, after I read your response, I checked and there are now *NO*
tcp/udp 1214 connections to be found!

Any idea what this timeout value is?

I have been working on this, off and on, since 2200 last night.  For
those who are interested, this customer has a T-1 to the internet, and
T-1's between multiple offices and -- omigosh! -- and the two owners'
homes.  tcp/udp 1214 is the dreaded Kazaa and we have no interest in
managing security for this business with kids at home poking holes all
over the place ;<

> This feels to me like grasping at straws, but everything you've posted
> (including the content at the URL you provided) looks right, so I'm reduced
> to long shots. And I do know that restarting a firewall doesn't break
> established MASQ'd connections.

[ snip ]

Yes, now, apparently, it works -- the brute force approach.  It's that
darn masquerading that confused me.

Shouldn't we be able to block this inside the masquerading process?

To complete this exercise, I want to back out the un-necessary chains.
I should be able to block this at eth0, shouldn't I?  Are the wan1
chains un-necessary?

Also, I should be able to block this on one of many subnets, all
channelled through eth0, right?

Yes, I can just try this; but, since I am not in control of the tcp/udp
1214 connections, after every change I make, I need to wait and see . .
.

Further response?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .