This is something I'm writing just so it will be added to the archives.
I have a few old boxes around here with Gigabyte GA-586ATS motherboards.
I tried to get them to boot a version of Bering I'd adjusted to work on
Compact Flash which worked on other boards.  During the kernel boot, it
would fail around the time it was looking at the PCI bus.  I played with
the BIOS for a while to no avail.  Eventually I found a BIOS upgrade for
this board which solved the problem.

So, if anyone has troubles with this board, I would suggest going to the
Gigabyte site and looking for the BIOS upgrade.  I suspect the problem
is 2.4 kernel-related as I didn't have the problem with the old Eiger
image.  Probably good advice to keep the BIOS current anyway, but
sometimes one hears hoofbeats and doesn't expect to see zebras ;-)  I
always initially think that problems like this are of my own making, but
luckily, sometimes this isn't the case...

Brock