Bering firewall, 1.0rc2:
Linux yoreach 2.4.18 #1 Sun Apr 21 12:50:34 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

My logs are filling up with entries like:

Jun 24 17:14:00 yoreach kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
Jun 24 17:14:00 yoreach kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch.  See
Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
Jun 24 17:14:00 yoreach kernel:   Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 579(3) current
579(3)
Jun 24 17:14:00 yoreach kernel:   Transmit list 00000000 vs. c3da62c0.
Jun 24 17:14:00 yoreach kernel:   0: @c3da6200  length 8000020f status 0001020f

etc., etc. ad nauseam.

I did a web search and found:

http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

which told me that a host on the network was incorrectly transmitting full-
duplex (and, by implication, that my network interface is set to half-duplex).
But, I am confused.

Eth0 is connected, I'm told (by my ISP, who may be the least reliable source on
this subject!), to one other machine, a router in the basement. Since internet
access appears to work reasonably well, should I change anything? Persuade my
ISP to change something (ha ha)?

I assume that the place to change things would be in the module line in
/etc/modules?

Now, I can live with the error messages, but, my logs are filling up.
Apparently, Bering creates a temporary filesystem in Ramdisk to hold the logs
(good), allots it 2 meg (ok, I guess) and shuts logging down when /var/log
exceeds capacity (bad). So, how do I:

1) Stop these messages from being logged; or

2) tell syslogd/klogd to wrap around or do something useful when the logs fill
up; or

3) increase the size of the logging filesystem?

I'd like to increase the amount of ram in play (anyway) as I have a lot on this
machine (it was a hand me down :-)