From: guitarlynn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, 15 July 2002 10:29 AM
To: David Pitts
Subject: Re: [off-list] DHCP Stuff

On Sunday 14 July 2002 21:18, David Pitts wrote:
> I use the same NICs so MAC address should not be an issue.  Maybe I
> could try it without BPALogin?  That would prove whether there was any

> conflict and also should get me under a 255 character limit (Which I
> wasn't aware of).
>
> DHClient does run.  When I watch the screen output when the machine is

> booting, I can see the output from DHClient on the screen.  It just
> doesn't log which is odd in itself??  Any ideas why that would happen?

> It says it gets no lease!

Ahh... that may log in kern.log instead of syslog/messages.
There are a few oddball programs that do that, we can assume that
dhclient is one of them.  That would eliminate any of the
other ideas I've had as well.

You are probably using Big Pond as an ISP and as I remember
correctly they were running the DHCP server under a private class ip
address. If this was an issue, you should have had DENY'ed packets in
the log files and/or martian errors.

By chance are you using the Dachstein-contributed image that
is built for BPALogin? If not, it might include other changes
necessary to connect to Big Pond that I am not aware of.
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!