Hi

Anyone else tried using Bering with a hard disk (master) and CompactFlash
(slave) on the same IDE channel. Let me explain:

I have a remote Warehouse using thin clients to connect to a server at the
Head Office via a 64kbit leased line. They want a digital camera, but have no
means of getting images from the camera to their file directories.

I've got a fair amount of experience of using Bering, not only as a firewall,
but as a toolkit for building network devices out of junk 486s. So I thought
I'd put Bering on to a hard disk with sshd and smb-2b  and fit a CompactFlash
reader in the 5.25 inch bay. Just plug in the card, switch the PC on, map a
drive across and hey-presto!

The trouble is the old 486s only have one IDE interface. When I try and boot
the machine I get complaints about unknown partition labels, bogus logical
sectors and not being able to find valid FAT filesystems. The hard disk boots
fine when it's on its own, the CF is definitely the slave, HDA & HDB are
identified correctly during the boot sequence by Bering.

I've now tried 4 different PCs, 3 hard disks and 2 different makes of CF/IDE
adapter. Basically, if the two devices are on the same ide channel they don't
work. They work fine as masters on separate ide channels. BTW, I've also
managed to achieve the desired result using a Hard Disk and an external USB
CF reader. Ideally, I want to use the slimline 486s, they look smart as well
as being small. The other PCs, especially, the one with USB is a bit of
overkill.

I tried Dachstein this afternoon and this works with both devices on the same
IDE channel, unfortunately I've messed up the network settings for the
moment. Ideally I'd like to stick with Bering as that is where most of my
experience is. The question is: is this likely to be a kernel issue? Am I not
plus vfat. Anyone got any similar experiences? had success? I suspect I'm on
my own here.

Best

Darren