<removing linux-router as I'm not on that list>
Yes for the unix and windows machines -- not sure if older Macs have a
facility for doing that, though. I suppose if you just want to have
names showing up in the logs, /etc/hosts would only need to be there on
the router.

If you want to have multiple machines referred to by name instead of
number, putting an /etc/hosts onto five or ten machines is probably
going to take longer than installing a name server package any way :-)

Jack

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 10:15, John Desmond wrote:
> On a really small internal system, wouldn't /etc/hosts
> suffice?
> -John
>
> --- Jack Coates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 05:25, Kevin wrote:
> > > I would like to have my pc's name show up and be
> > To solve the second one, you need to run your own
> > DNS server with a
> > private zone (something like mycompany.prv).
> > dnscache isn't sufficient

Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...