On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:31:37 +1000 Adam Niedzwiedzki wrote:

[snip]

> I'm running eiger static with a "bastardised" (if there is such a word)
> version of the extended scripts.

[snip]

> 1. Is there a package out there that can monitor the syslog (or denied
> rules) to maybe send an email out when certain types of packet's get denied
> (hmm not at packet level more like if say there is activity on port 23 of a
> certain IP, that is being denied then send an email)

I could easily be wrong, but portsenty (psentry.lrp on google)
*might* be able to do what you want with the correct configuration
options.  It's been a long time since I've played with it, and I
don't remember for sure.

> 2. What do I need to change to have my firewall send all it's syslog info
> to a syslog server?

A search for syslog.conf on google might turn up a few answers.
If you do log to a full *nix server, fwlogwatch[1] may be able to
do what you want using the "realtime response mode".  I only use
it in "log summary mode", so I'm not positive.  I can say it does
a good job creating log summaries.

Sorry for the partial answers; hopefully the leads will turn
you on to good solutions.

--Brad

[1] http://www.kyb.uni-stuttgart.de/boris/software.shtml and
    http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/projects/fwlogwatch/