Very helpful, thanks.
I will forge ahead and call the phone co.

Ray Olszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 08/01/2002 03:12:01 PM

To:   Phillip Watts/austin/Nlynx@Nlynx, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:

Subject:  Re: [leaf-user] isdn help needed

At 02:53 PM 8/1/02 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I can now get dual ISDN, way out in the country,
>no DSL, no cable, don't wantta satellite.
>
>I have an old, never used ISDN modem, 3Com Impact IQ, for FREE.
>This gets me outa my ISP's router and I can use a Linux router and
>do my kinda VPN, firewall, dmz, etc.  YEAH!
>
>But I don't know how.
>
>1)  This modem comes with Windows install floppies.
>          Surely that doesn't mean it actually configures the modem?

Probably not, since *everything* comes with Windows install floppies or
CDs. But really, who knows? The best way to find out is to look up the
device on 3Com's Web site (or perhaps USR's), or do a Google search ...
things you can do as readily as we can.

>2)  The modem will connect to my serial port
>      Does that mean my external interface will be  ttyS0?
>      Or do I use ppp somehow and my interface is ppp0?

This mainly depends on what your ISP says. PPP over ISDN is one way to do
it ... certainly the most likely.  I've also (many years ago) used hardware
bridges that connected to ISDN on the external side, Ethernet on the
internal side. Other options are possible in principle, but not
straightforward if the ISDN device looks like a modem to the PC.

Assuming ppp ... your external interface will be ppp0, and pppd will need
to know to use /dev/ttyS0 (or S1, depending on which serial port you
connect to) to establish that interface.

>3) How do I connect?  For my dialup connection I use wvdial.
>            Are ISDN modems anything like Hayes command set?

Some did. Again, you'll need to check about yours specifically.

>4)  BIG Question.   My linux is not configured for ISDN.
>          But the ISDN Subsystem part of config seem to be about
>               ISDN card drivers.
>          Do I need to configure in ISDN?

The likely answer is no. Since the ISDN device connects to a serial port,
Linux should need to know nothing special about it, just its modem-like
things (e.g., speed, dialing).

>5)  the only help on the internet comes from Germany and seems to be
>           about ISDN4.  ????

This isn't really a question, and I don't know what the statement means. I
just did a Google search on "isdn 3Com Impact IQ linux" and got a bunch of
hits. From the listings on the search-results page, the first few looked
helpful (though I didn't go on to read the actual links, figuring that you
can do that as easily as, and more productively than, I).

--