Hi S Mohan,

--- S Mohan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to load bering on a PC ATA Flash card. I've a Adtron drive
> and a Sandisk 8MB card. It is getting recognised as a drive and I'm able
> to fdisk and format the drive. It is secondary master. I'm able to mount
> it as /dev/hdc1 in bering too. However, I'm not able to boot! I
> initially tried syslinux and it gave an error :unable to lock drive for
> exclusive access. I did a lock c: and then tried syslinux. Same error. I
> then booted up the system with a Win98 DOS floppy, did a sys c: and
> copied the floppy contents to the flash card. It did not boot up in DOS
> too. Sys did not give an error unlike syslinux.

I had the same "unable to lock drive for exclusive access." error message
when I tried using the dos version of syslinux.  It worked great with the
linux version.  I first tried using the syslinux binary from my RH box but
that didn't work with either Bering or Tom's Root Boot floppies.  What I
wound up doing is downloading the source for syslinux to my full linux box
and compiling it statically linked.  IIRC, I think I just added a -static
as a compiler option in the Makefile.

> Any pointers? Is it that I'm up the wrong alley and ATA Flash disks are
> not bootable?

Also for booting dos, have you tried fdisk /mbr before the sys c: ?  Other
than that... I don't know if it'll make a difference but maybe try it as
primary master?

Hope this helps.

-- Cass