Luis.F.Correia wrote (on Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 05:19:08PM +0100):
| My friend, if you are receiving odd kernel errors, it is either a
| faulty NIC or a puzzled driver.

Or an unhappy router on the other end. Or other faulty hosts on the (outside)
subnet - both things I cannot control.

| I know that 'cause I once had the same problem.
|
| You know, most of us use rather old NIC's gathered from old PC's.
| At least I do. If you got that card from one of these old doorstop
| computers, who can assure you that it has no problems?

I bought two brand new 3com's for this project.

| Or it could be a faulty cable, or a problem on your HUB/Switch port.

I have one cable, leading to the ISP. Swapping the cable helps not.

Look at the docs:

"0x82
     Out of window collision. This typically occurs when *some other*
     (emphasis added) Ethernet host is incorrectly set to full duplex
     on a half duplex network. "

     "Both of these errors are the result of network errors that should
     be corrected. They do not represent driver malfunction."

So, I suspect that the problem is on the other end of the wire. [Therefore]
changing my end will accomplish nothing except breaking what I already have
in place. I suppose I could open a dialogue to my brain-dead ISP (but, I repeat
myself) and get nowhere, but why?

I'd jusd like to get rid of the messages. I suppose I could try my hand at re-
writing the driver, but ...

| When transmit errors occour on LAN, it means that there ARE hardware
| problems.

But not on my machine, I suspect.

| I can understand that since everything works quite well on your
| internal net and all connections to the internet, your wish is to
| have those messages removed.

| But removing the messages 'per se' does not solve your problem.

Why not? The messages are precisely the problem. Removing the messages would
solve the problem nicely.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

| Please explain us more about your setup.

Sure: internal LAN talks to one NIC on the router; the other NIC talks to the
ISP which routes for the internet.

| Luis.F.Correia wrote (on Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:31:12PM +0100):
| | Well... you could also try using another NIC driver for your board.
| |
| | I guess that the 'vortex' series loosely identifies a 3Com card.
| |
| | There are a large number of cards that work with that driver. I also
| | recall that Donald Becker wrote drivers for those cards.
| |
| | Try other drivers and if all still goes wrong, you could also try
| | another NIC...
|
| But it's not the NIC or the drivers; they all work splendidly.
|
| I just want to suppress those error messages ...
|
| | [Bering rc2]
| |
| | ... getting lots of errors in both syslog and kern.log:
| |
| | Aug 12 11:21:21 yoreach kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status
| | register 82. Aug 12 11:21:21 yoreach kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch.
| See
| |      Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
| | Aug 12 11:21:21 yoreach kernel:   Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 3351435(11)
| |      current 3351435(11)
| | Aug 12 11:21:21 yoreach kernel:   Transmit list 00000000 vs. c3bf14c0.
| | Aug 12 11:21:21 yoreach kernel:   0: @c3bf1200  length 80000036 status
| | 00010036
| | Aug 12 11:21:21 yoreach kernel:   1: @c3bf1240  length 80000036 status
| | 00010036
| |
| | etc., etc. filling up the logs.
| |
| | I've read the vortex page, and I think that those packets are
| | spurious; since the firewall works quite well, thank you, changing the
| | duplex mode of my network card seems not to be in order.
| |
| | But the messages are quite a bother, and they exhaust the log
| | filesystem.
| |