Hello  Craig, Ray, jeff and list

> >Hi folks,
> >Whether I use my Bering floppy or my really cool, new bootable Bering CD
> >(yeehaw!), I get this message on boot-up- Starting system log daemon:
> >syslogd and it seems to take a really long time to get beyond it. Is
> >that "normal" for Bering??? I'd say it takes, maybe, 2 or 3 minutes to
> >get beyond that. What do you think? Thanks!
>
> It means the system has a problem with DNS resolution. DNS requests time
> out after 3 minutes. I forget now what DNS thingie syslog is doing on
> startup, but it is some sort of reverse lookup, possibly of the host's own
> IP address --- you can tell by checking your logs to see what is reported
> with an IP address instead of FQN.
>
> To eliminate the delay, fix the DNS problem. (I'm calling it DNS, but
> that's not really correct; it's a resolver problem, which can be fixed by a
> suitable /etc/hosts file as well as by getting DNS working.)
As ray stated
This is in effect a timeout  the syslog tries to resolve the host name it is
running on at startup. You probably have a non official name to your
firewall, so dnscache cannot resolve the name.
As soon as you have an correct host entry in /etc/host the problem is
solved.  ( the fqdn of your firewall is probably different from
firewall.private.network , as is mine ;) )

Regards
Eric Wolzak
member of the berign crew