> I would like to have cron run the following commands at appropriate
> times:
>
> shorewall reject 192.168.1.4
> shorewall allow 192.168.1.4
>
> I have attempted to add them to /etc/crontab directly but they do not
> run.
> I entered them as so:
>
> 0 22 * * 0,1,2,3,4  root /sbin/shorewall reject 192.168.1.4
>
> 0 7 * * 1,2,3,4,5  root /sbin/shorewall allow 192.168.1.4
>
> The intent is to block my son's internet access from 10:00pm to 7:00
am
> on school nights.
>
> I have read the man pages but don't see what I am doing wrong. Please
> suggest what I might try.

As mentioned, your crontab syntax looks OK.  You said the commands work
as expected from the command line...I'm not real familiar with Bering or
shorewall, but when programs run as expected from the command line, but
fail in cron, the problem is almost always with missing environment
variables.  You may need to create a "wrapper" script, modify your
command, or add some variables to your crontab file to explicitly set
some environment variables required to get shorewall working.  Sorry I
can't suggest any particular environment variables to look at other than
PATH, but check the shorewall docs for anything that's required...

HTH,

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net