Thanks for the info, Mike. Not much of a comparison when my solution was 10x
that price.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mike Noyes
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 11:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [leaf-user] [off-topic]cf/sm cards/readers

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 21:40, Eric B Kiser wrote:
> Can anyone recommend where I can find prices better than this?
>
> Mike, is this price range within the bounds of what you originally had in
> mind when you were researching this previously?

Eric,
No. The SST ATA-Disk Module is less than $20 US.

    ATA-Disk Module
    http://www.sst.com/products/58sm_lm.html
    ATA-Disk Chip Application Notes
    http://www.sst.com/superflash/pdf/222.pdf
    ATA-Disk Module Product Brief
    http://www.sst.com/ata_disk/admbrief.pdf
    ATA-Disk Module (Apacer)
    http://www.apacer.com/product/flash/index_adc_adm.html

> Last question. Is write-protect on an ATA Flash PC Card a new thing?

It's a relatively new development. My understanding is, that CF PC Card
(PCMCIA) devices that support write protect don't run in true IDE mode.
The newer secure memory types may be supported as a bootable device.

    CF 1.4 specifications.
    http://www.compactflash.org/cfspc1_4.pdf

Note: we have links to flash disks and adapters in our web links section
of our web site.
http://leaf-project.org/links.php?menu=2

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>