Hello Andrew, list
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Meng, Andrew wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to administrator LEAF box using telnet, I have done:
> >
> > 1 In inetd.conf, uncomment in.telnetd.
> > 2 In securetty, add ttyp0 and ttyp1
> >
> > But it still does not work(refused connection...), can anyone shed any light
> > on this?

the following is a part of a new bering user guide page still under
construction, if you ignore the xml , I hope it will help

<sect2><title>Remote Administration with Telnet</title>
<para>I don't want to start a discussion over the security aspects of
telnet here. Be aware that telnet is much less secure than ssh, but
especially for floppy users with a trusted internal network it might be
interesting to use telnet nevertheless.
</para><para>
What do I need:
<itemizedlist>

in.telnetd.lrp
lncurses.lrp
</itemizedlist>
both can be found on the
<ulink>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/leaf/Oxygen_Mar.2001_pk
g_packages.tar.gz</ulink> of oxygen.
copy both to the floppy disc and add them to the list of packages to
load.
<title>open up the firewall for telnet from the localnet</title>
edit shorewall rules
Add:
<screen>
ACCEPT  loc     fw      tcp     23
</screen>
edit /etc/inetd.conf
uncomment the line:
<screen>

telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd
</screen>
allow root to use the virtual console
edit /etc/securetty
add:
<screen>
ttyp0
ttyp1
</screen>
for each ttypX you get a new console, it could be usefull to limit this
to one or two.
backup root, etc and shorewall.

</para></sect2>

<greetings ;)>