On 29 Aug 2002, Tim Dinkins wrote:

> It appears that the problem is not with bering at all but with the linux
> router that connects to the internet and is the default gateway for all
> boxes in the 192.168.0 subnet.
> The bering firewall has IP 192.168.0.250.  I have a route on the linux
> firewall connected to the internet that says
>
> 192.168.100.0/24 via 192.168.0.250 dev eth2
>
> I would think this would send a redirect back to the systems in the
> 192.168.0 range telling them to send to the 192.168.0.250 address as the
> gateway for the 192.168.100 range.

Linux does not normally accept icmp redirects, but you can enable that
with "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_redirects" on all your
hosts (assuming they are running Linux).  I am not sure whether Linux
produces icmp redirects, though.

> This is not happening and I think that that is the problem.

Another possibility is for the router to route packets back out the
interface they came in on, and I don't know how to enable or disable that.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing