Hello LEAF users,

We are going to be getting a full 100mbit line dropped to us in a colocation
facility. We plan to resell part of this bandwidth to about about 20
dedicated and colocated clients. I am trying to come up with a cheap,
effective & easy solution to serve these clients AND manage/throttle/cap
their bandwidth consumption.

I have been administrating my own (FreeBSD) boxes for about 7 years now, so
I know my way around unix a bit. However, I have never been faced with
networking at this level, and don't really know about RIP and the various
bandwidth management options available.

So far here is what I came up with:

Solution #1 CISCO Layer3 Switch ~$2500:

CISCO Catalyst WS-C2948G-L3 Layer 3 Switch.
It Does RIP, does ACL rate-limiting for (crude?) bw management.
Seems like a single-appliance solution -- price $2000-$3000 Ugh.

Solution #2 ETINC software + Switch ~$1500:

Banwidth Management software from www.etinc.com
(applied on one of my boxes). I _think_ I could run
that box as a router still... then all I would need
would be a good 24-48 port switch (could someone recommend?).
Price?... $700 for the software, ~$300 for the box, another
$500 for the switch? (maybe thats too much).. Total ~$1500.00.

Solution #3 -- LEAF + Switch = ~$800 (or less!):

Could leaf handle this on a good box? All I would need then
would be a good switch right?

Keep in mind, it is a FULL 100mbit line - and we will be paying
for the bandwidth. If we aren't getting "full wire speed" or
whatever.. its probably because of some hardware bottleneck or
something somewhere. So I sort of wanted to use good hardware -
or at least a solution that would be compareable to the CISCO
router.

Thanks for reading,

Kaz