> > I have been having lots of fun with LEAF-Bering (thanks guys), but
> > there still remains one small issue I have not been able to resolve.
> >
> > I have configured the system to send emails on ping failure and
> > space check but they do not seem to be sent.
> >
> > If I run the 'mail' command manually with
> >
> > mail -s "subject" "email_address"  (which seems to be how
> > multicron-p calls it) the command just hangs until I ^C it.
>
> That is by design.  The "hang" is actually the mail command
> waiting for your message.  Type something like
>
>   $ mail -s "test" you@yourhost
>   testing
>   ^D
>
> and, if everything is configured correctly, you should get
> the message.  Alternatively,
>
>   $ mail -s "test" you@yourhost < afile
>
> or
>
>   $ echo testing | mail -s "test" you@yourhost
>
> should work too.  It's been awhile since I have used or looked at
> multicron-p's pingcheck() or checkfreespace() .  There hasn't been
> much discussion of them on-list lately, but it wouldn't surprise
> too much if they contain bugs.  I get the impression they aren't
> used very often.
>
> Not sure both are still used, but as a heads-up, the SMTP server
> is defined in both /etc/lrp.conf and /etc/POSIXness.conf with
> different variable names.  You may need to set both to get
> everything working properly.
>
> > Do I need the qmail.lrp package, or is bering able to send mails
> > as standard?

> Nope.  For simple smtp client functionality, the POSIXness mail
> command should be sufficient.

> --Brad

Thanks for the reply Brad.  I had been terminating the text entry with Ctl D,
but it did not terminate the mail process because it was hung over
establishing an smtp session with the mail server. As I said in my post which
crossed with yours, opening up the firewall to smtp did the trick, and I am
happy to report that pingcheck does indeed work as advertised.

I must say I am really impressed with this little distro. It is amazing what
can be fitted on just two floppies  (ssh and dnscache took me over the one
floppy)

Thanks

derek