I have used the Dachstein pppoe.lrp package to run a test server for
testing client setups - this pppoe.lrp contains pppoe.server.
Unfortunately, I threw this system together for a onetime use and didn't
take notes.

>From what I remember, you must ensure the adsl client is stopped -
adsl-stop - and then start the pppoe daemon manually in order to run
pppoe.server.  Although the pppoe client does not necessarily interfere
with the server, it will clutter your logs with repeated connection
attempts to itself.  Read the man pages and you should do fine.

I'm currently setting up Bering boxes to be sent to remote offices so I
may have to set this up again.  If I do, I'll take notes this time.

Good luck!

Jeff