"Michael D. Schleif" wrote:

> Matthew Schalit wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
> > Please tell me you've added ipchains -l logging to every packet
> >          1)  inbound on dmz nic
> >          2)  outbound from dmz nic
> >          3)  inbound on internal nic
> >          4)  outbound on internal nic
> >          5)  forwarded by any forward rule
> >
> > and repost the trail of a dns request from the dmz, judiciously snipping
> > and trimming if you please.
>
> NOTE: I haven't yet figured out how to get the forward/MASQ chain to log
> properly.

OK, I have finally determined that the one MASQ rule has no effect.
Without any special forward rule, dnscache is queried; but, no answer
makes it back to the asker.

I've run out of ideas for tonight; so,
<http://www.helices.org/tmP/ipchains.bluetrout.txt> ought to remain
static for awhile . . .

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .