You say that you made the CD from the directions.
But then, you say 'putting the bootable floppy back in to boot'
and got the same error...

It's strange, the Bering CD instructions uses ISOLINUX which
does not use any floppies at all to boot.

Try this:

Fallback to the standard Bering floppy. Let's call it 'BeringFlp'
format another floppy with 1.68. Let's call it 'BeringOth'

copy all .LRP files from the BeringFlp to BeringOth except
initrd.lrp

then in BeringFlp, edit syslinux.cfg and add in the append line
this: 'diskwait=yes' save and boot with BeringFlp

after a while it will ask you for the other floppy. insert BeringOth
and press ENTER.

Check that all works as expected.

You have now a set of floppies that works. read the rest of the
documentation to see what's missing!

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bucdrom.html