FYI, Ummmm....I unknowingly performed my own Denial of Service attack. :-[ I was receiving a series of
"eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status ec01."
and finally followed by a
"NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out"
"eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000"
Links like the one below from google did not provide much information. Some of the google links go back to 1998, when some of the Ethernet drivers were still maturing.

I lost a switch. This is the second SMC eight port switch that I've seen go bad--it will be my last. The older switches had either an MDI switch or a special crossover port to control crossover connections. Most of the new switches out there are auto crossover detecting on all ports. I _finally_ replaced the SMC with a Netgear switch. (Blush..I took the hawking eight port switch back thinking it was bad.)

I have two cable runs from one switch location to the other. The design is that one of the two cable runs should remain unplugged from the other switch. The second cable lets me play with the LEAF box or throw it up in the closet after the configuration has stabilized. I mistakenly plugged the second cable into both switches. All of a sudden I had "eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status xxxx." being displayed on all my Linux boxes including the Dachstein-CD box. The MS Windows PCs just hung there or I would receive a "No domain server available" at the MS Windows network login. I thought the new switch was bad at first but did not realize that the samba server, Redhat 7.3, was wrapped around the axle trying to handle all the interrupts being generated from two routes two each switch.

Normally in the MDI/crossover button next to a port and only one crossover jack available days of networking hardware, you wouldn't have received a link light on the second connection. Only one connection would have succeeded. However, both connections were successful on the new auto crossover switch.

So for all you that find this via a google search in the future look at mis-connected switches/network hardware. That may just be one possibility. I wonder if a router with two NICs plugged into the same switch would produce the same result.? You'd also probably have to have two IP addresses on the same segment, etc.

I sheepishly say, I hope this helps. knowing I am probably the only person willing to admit my bone mistake for others to find it in google. Hee! Hee! maybe that's why you can't find much on this topic in google! :-(*)

Greg Morgan

http://www.linuxmanagers.org/pipermail/linuxmanagers/2002-July/000611.html

Does anybody know why this error is generated on a Redhat 7.0 server?
It is a very high traffic server, but I'd like to understand a little
more about what's going on here before I try to 'tune it away'. Also,
which parameters control this, and what can I do about this?

'eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status ec01.'

I've done a google search for it, to no avail. There are plenty of
people with the same problem, but no concrete answers.

Any help is appreciated.

--

Brian K. Jones
System Administrator