> i'm toying with the idea of using a bering box ( p100
> 32M ram) with tinydns to be used for a public dns
> server.
> there will probably not be any client machines or
> servers behind this box.
> is anyone doing this?(i did not find much on this in
> the archives)  any gotchas if someone is doing this
> now?

I was doing something similar with LRP and bind for a while, but I've
migrated to bind 9.x, which won't gracefully compile with the older libc
used by LEAF distos, so I've moved DNS to RedHat based servers (I'm
using lots of the new 9.x features, including multiple views, which is
kind of akward to setup with tinydns).

Other than issues you might run into with using tinydns vs the more
"standard" bind, there are no particular "gotcha's" with using LEAF for
a thin server OS.  Although mainly used for routers & firewalls, the
"nothing but the basics" mentality works just as well for small,
dedicated servers.  Just remember you don't have emacs, perl, etc., but
for something like a DNS server, you probably don't need that anyway.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net