leaf-user list added to reply.

> Charles,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Ben running Eigerstein with pppoe off of the
same
> floppy for almost a year straight. No downtime unless the power went
off
> and never a problem. It's been so long since I installed it, I've
> forgotten most of what I learned :-). Found out my old system I gave
my
> daughter will make 1680's with no retrys. Have to boot it off of
> floppies, Windows only. What a pain.
>
> I am switching from dsl to cable modem for cost reasons, plus 3x
faster.
> I tested it using a Linux box, 2.4.16 kernel. You know, don't
configure
> eth0 and execute dhcpcd. Worked like a charm. No host id or other
> conformation required.
>
> I then downloaded Dachstein and am trying to get it running. I changed
> the eth1 to my internel network, 192.168.2.254. I made sure IF_DHCP
was
> yes and eth0 was dhcp port. Made sure I loaded modules for my ethernet
> cards like my eigerstein used, etc.
>
> Ok, I boot and it loops on trying to find a DHCP host and times out.
An
> ip addr shows lo, eth1 with 192.168.2.254 ip, but none for eth0,
> ofcourse.I can ping other LAN machines like 192.168.2.205 just fine,
so
> eth1 is working. I know I can get connected using dhcpcd on another
> Linux box, so what obvious thing am I missing.
>
> I tried running dhclient eth0 from command line on Dachstein and get:
>
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
> No DHCPOFFERS Received
>
> During this I see activity LEDS flashing for both PC-link and
> Cable-activity.

Hmm...there are several possabilities for what might be wrong.  A couple
likely candidates I can think of off the top of my head:

- Your cable modem or ISP is doing MAC address caching, and you
initially connected with a different network card than you're using in
the Dachstein box.  Unplug your cable-modem for several minutes, or
otherwise try to reset it, and try connecting again.

- Your cable provider is using a private IP for the DHCP server, and
response packets are being dropped by the firewall rules (check
/var/log/messages for denied packets).  If this is your problem, comment
the appropriate RFC 1918/1627/1597 address range in the stopMartians()
procedure in /etc/ipfilter.conf.

- Your cable provider only provides DHCP service to registered MAC
addresses.  If this is the case, put the NIC you initially connected
with into your Dachstein box, or provide your cable company with the MAC
address of the external NIC on your Dachstein box.

If you still can't figure out what's wrong, provide a few more details
of your setup and we'll try to help.  For instance, does the Eiger
install work only on DSL, or have you had it running on the cable-modem
as well?  Have you been able to connect to the cable modem at all
(perhaps by directly connecting a system to your cable modem)?  Who is
your cable provider, and how did they tell you to configure your system
(probably instructions for windows only, but we can translate them into
the appropriate linux configuration)?

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net