At 02:06 AM 11/5/02 +0100, Christopher Kuemmel wrote:
I'm operating a 386 SX-40 with 8 megs of ram and 2 isa nics (1 NE1000 compatible and 1 3com EtherLink III) on Charles Steinkuehler's Eigerstein 2.2.19-small image with the Eiger-386-noFPU kernel to serve as a masquerading firewall for 3 Windows XP workstations which generally seems to work fairly well (for HTTP connections, etc)...
What confused me was the fact that whenever I tried to open an FTP connection to any host outside the LAN I ended up locking up the router; I guess that this problem might be related to low memory but I am not sure...
It's always tempting to blame this sort of problem on inadequate hardware. But if you've configured the software correctly for this wimpy a CPU and this little RAM, then an ftp transfer shouldn't overwhelm it. So let me ask a few clarifying questions.

1. When you say "freezes" and "locks up", do you mean that literally? That is, the router completely stops functioning ... won't respond to pings, won't do any routing of other protocols, won't respond to login attempts, won't update screens of console or remote logins? Needs a hardware (reset button or power-cycle) reboot? Or are you describing a problem specific to the ftp transfer only?

2. Might the logs be filling up the RAM disk? Just before you start an ftp transfer, what does "free" report about memory and what does "df" report about the RAM disk?

3. Is the problem specific to ftp transfers, or will similar freezes occur with other protocols that make traffic volume similarly high (like http downloads or scp transfers)?

4. You say the problem occurs "whenever I tried to open an FTP connection". Do you mean it happens before the transfer actually begins? If so, do you have the ip-masq_ftp module loaded? If yes ... how large a value are you using for "whenever"? (That is, how many different ftp servers has this problem occurred with?)

5. I'm assuming that the external connection is over a circuit that is relatively slow -- DS-1 speed or lower, much lower than the LAN. Is this correct?