Hi all

First, thanks to Jacques and Eric for their really good documentation.
This weekend, I (together with a friend) first set up a Bering box with an
ADSL connection. I already set up a Dachstein box with PPPoE some months ago
and this did work. I didn't expect any problems because the documentation on
PPPoE with Bering is very good.

But it didn't work. After following all steps of the Users Guide, there was
no ppp0 interface at all (ip addr) and syslog didn't show any useful
information.
After 2h of trying, we added the "debug" statement to /etc/ppp/dsl-provider.
Then syslog showed a lot of things but still nothing useful (like "error:
couldn't authenticate" or "chap failed: wrong password").
After 4h (it was 2 o'clock in the morning, so our brains didn't work as
effective as during the day ;)) we had the idea, that probably our ISP
REQUIRE A CHAP LOGIN and because the Users Guide and the PPPoE menu entry
are only talking about PAP we didn't have this elementary idea. After
editing the chap password file with exactly the same information as in the
pap file ([userid] * [password]) it worked!

I think it would be nice if:

a) the Users Guide describes that some provider needs chap and you should
enter your login in both files - or/and
b) the pppoe package also have a menu entry for the chap file so that users
see that there ARE two files.

We also noticed that syslog writes:
pppd: Error, couldn't inrease MTU to 1500

and we first thought that THIS is the error, but after searching the net we
found out that this message is normal in connection with ADSL and isn't a
real "error".

Information about the ISP:
Provider: Solnet
Subscription: ADSL Home