This should be part of documentation - if you are
using unknown NICs, download, install, & run Brad
Fritz' lspci.lrp

Ran lspci & insmod, results below.  Could be a
dependencies issue, but how can I tell?  Also, I keep
looking at modules.pcimap - would installing that in
/lib/modules do anything?   Should I just surrender &
buy some cheap, more compatible NICs?  Join a Buddhist
monastery...

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430UX - 8243VX TVX
[Triton VX] (rev 01)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371SB PIIX3 ISA
[Natoma/Triton II] (rev 01)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371SB PIIX3 IDE
[Natoma/Triton II]
00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD
5434-8 [Alpine] (rev fc)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Macronix, Inc, [MXIC]
MX987x5 (rev 20)
00:0.0 Ethernet controller: Macronix, Inc, [MXIC]
MX987x5 (rev 20)

#insmod tulip
Using /lib/modules/tulip.o
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_drv_unregister
insmod: unresolved symbol pci_drv_register