The LEAF version I'm using is a Dachstein floppy v1.0.2.

In an effort to make my firewall more secure, and to learn more, I have been scouring the Internet for
ideas. As a result, I have a few questions regarding the rules set-up in ipfilter.conf.

1) Instead of accepting all TCP packets to the high ports per

# Accept all incoming TCP packets to the External interface on non-priveleged
# ports
$IPCH -A input -j ACCEPT -p tcp -s 0/0 -d $EX_IP 1024:65535 -i $EXTERN_IF

wouldn't it be better to only accept TCP packets that don't have the SYN bit set by using the ! -y option?
As in

$IPCH -A input -j ACCEPT ! -y -p tcp -s 0/0 -d $EX_IP 1024:65535 -i $EXTERN_IF

2) In the two statements, from ipfilter.conf,

$IPCH -A input -j ACCEPT -p tcp -s 0/0 -d $EX_IP 1024:65535 -i $EXTERN_IF
and
$IPCH -A input -j ACCEPT -p udp -s 0/0 -d $EX_IP 1024:65535 -i $EXTERN_IF

what is the definition of $EX_IP? I have searched both network.conf and ipfilter.conf and have not found
any definition. It would seem that $EX_IP should be $EXTERN_IP. Then only packets intended for the
firewall (and the LAN) would be accepted. As the statement is currently written in ipfliter.conf, it
translates to the follwing rule

ACCEPT tcp ------ eth0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * -> 1024:65535
ACCEPT udp ------ eth0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * -> 1024:65535

from which the firewall accepts all packets. Instead of

ACCEPT tcp ------ eth0 0.0.0.0/0 66.235.19.223 * -> 1024:65535
ACCEPT udp ------ eth0 0.0.0.0/0 66.235.19.223 * -> 1024:65535

which would only allow tcp/udp packets bound for 66.235.19.223 (the firewall external ip address).

3) If you implement the two changes above, you could just change the last catch all rule for the input to
REJECT (or DENY) as those packets you wanted were accepted above.

4) Is it better to use Reject instead of Deny? According to one web site,
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~peterb/network/drop-vs-reject.html, Reject will send an ICMP error, per
RFC1122, which is better as it will not slow down applications of legitimate users. For hackers it really
doesn't matter if it is Deny (Drop) or Reject. Are there any opposing opinions?

Thank you all for your time and I hope I made some sense.

John Wittenberg