John

I had to wait for my cable modem to forget the mac address of my interface to reply... ;-) too lazy to reset the bugger.

I am not completely convinced by your reasoning. I can believe there is something fishy with the DHCP server but apparently some drivers handle it better than others.

I have a cable modem which connects to a switch to which I connect 2 Bering 1_0rc3 boxes, one is my "real firewall", a notebook with a xircom and a d-link pcmcia card, the other a plain vanilla desktop with 2 OEM ne2k-pci cards.

The notebook shows exactly the same symptoms as the one show below whereas the desktop does not. The error message is generated by the dhclient program which notices a difference between the lenght in the packet header and the actual length of the packet returned from the driver. Here is the responsible code from packet.c

/* Check the IP packet length. */
if (ntohs (ip -> ip_len) != buflen) {
if ((ntohs (ip -> ip_len + 2) & ~1) == buflen)
ignore = 1;
else
log_debug ("ip length %d disagrees with bytes received %d.",
ntohs (ip -> ip_len), buflen);
}

So this is where the error gets loggged, the buflen parameter gets passed from the calling routine and apparently it does neither match the value of the lenght field in the ip header nor the next multiple of 2, (obviously, it is always 4 bytes longer) This apparently does not happen with all drivers/hardware. so your test is IMHO not completely conclusive because the only system which exposes the error is also the only system "using a 3c900 NIC" according to your description

I believe we have to refer to the driver gurus to get further in this matter.

Here is the lsmod of my affected system:

# lsmod
Module Pages Used by
ipsec 133360 2
pcnet_cs 12496 1
xirc2ps_cs 13928 1
ds 6388 2 [pcnet_cs xirc2ps_cs]
i82365 22180 2
pcmcia_core 41056 0 [pcnet_cs xirc2ps_cs ds i82365]
ip_nat_irc 2384 0 (unused)
ip_nat_ftp 2960 0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_irc 3056 1
ip_conntrack_ftp 3824 1
8390 5780 0 [pcnet_cs]
ide-probe-mod 7496 0
ide-disk 6544 0
ide-mod 50888 0 [ide-probe-mod ide-disk]

and here the one that does not complain:

# lsmod
Module Pages Used by
ip_nat_irc 2384 0 (unused)
ip_nat_ftp 2960 0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_irc 3056 1
ip_conntrack_ftp 3824 1
ne2k-pci 4556 2
8390 5780 0 [ne2k-pci]
isofs 16972 0
ide-probe-mod 7496 0
ide-cd 26312 0
ide-disk 6544 0
ide-mod 50888 0 [ide-probe-mod ide-cd ide-disk]
cdrom 26752 0 [ide-cd]

Cheers

Erich