--On Thursday, December 12, 2002 02:00:12 PM -0800 Joshua Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is my first time on this list, so please be gentle. :)

After reading all the docs, previewing the logs, and lurking on this list
for  a while I finally decided to try Bering. My goal is to get the
three-interfaces setup on Shorewall along with the pptp server to allow
access to the DMZ from both the Loc and Net zones. Leaving aside pptp for
now, I've managed to get Bering working with my three NICs, dispensing
IPs on  eth1 (loc) and eth2 (dmz) w/ dhcp, and picking up a dynamic ip
with pump on  eth0 (net).
Did you follow the instructions in one of the Shorewall QuickStart Guides and if so which one (three-interface or the setup guide)?

But that's as far as I've got. So far I can't ping out from the Bering
machine  with shorewall started, getting this error:

# ping mit.edu
PING mit.edu (18.7.21.70): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted

which I've identified as most likely being routing related.
No -- it sounds like you aren't allowing pings from the fw zone to the net zone.

Similarly, I
can't  ping machines on the loc or dmz subnets, i.e.:

# ping 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
So in other words, you aren't allowing ping out of the 'fw' zone at all.

Finally, I can't ping the bering box from either the dmz or loc subnets -
attempts to do so just time out.
Which means that you probably have 'noping' specified on all of your interfaces OR you have specified 'filterping' on those interfaces then haven't included rules to accept ping.

When I try these tests with shorewall turned off I can ping the machines
on  the loc and dmz networks from the bering box, and ping the bering box
from  said networks, but can't ping out to the Net at large attempts to
do so  result in:

# ping mit.edu
ping: unknown host mit.edu

Trying to ping the Net at large from the bering box gives me this error:

# ping mit.edu
ping: mit.edu: Host name lookup failure

When I ping the bering box from the Net I get zero results - it just
times  out.

Most frustratingly, no messages appear in the logs on the Bering machine
when  I try any of the above. I can see that DNS resolution only occurs
when  shorewall is up and that shorewall is blocking ping probes, but
can't  pinpoint where that problem stems from.

My main concern is that I would like to be able to debug this myself and
don't  know where to start. My first instinct is to reach for tcpdump,
but it's not  available on Bering. Given that I copied the
three-interfaces file set for  shorewall and otherwise followed the
Installation guide more or less exactly  I'd rather not just dump all my
.conf files on this list - but can anyone  give me any advice on where to
start debugging this otherwise?

There are only two suspicious things I can see with the LRP load sequence:
1) when booting, shorewall gives me this error: .: Can't open
/etc/shorewall/common.def
Sounds like you are missing that configuration file!

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep \ Shorewall - iptables made easy
Shoreline, \ http://shorewall.sf.net