On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Hien Le wrote:

> I have Bearing

I think you mean Bering [1]

> running on IDE

Well, _booting off of_ an IDE device anyway...

> and it has plenty of space left.  However it
> said I don't have enough space to copy ipsec.o to /lib/modules.  After
> running a df command, my system showed up like so:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available  Use%  Mounted on
> /dev/root                 6144           6144         0      100%  /
> tmpfs                    19288              16     19272      0%  /tmp
> tmpfs                     2048               48      2000      2%  /var/log
>
> Does anyone know how I can get /dev/root to utilize more space on my
> IDE?  Thank you.

Bering runs out of RAM once it has loaded off the boot device and
extracted the packages from the package repository device (often the same
device).  It completely unmounts the package repository after it has
booted, and does not access it again unless you back up packages.

What you really need to do is change the syst_size parameter in your
syslinux or other boot loader. See
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/biaddrm.html#AEN600.

-----

[1] A bearing is a device used to let an axle turn freely.
Bering was the name of an explorer, after whom the Bering Strait between
Alaska and Siberia was named.  The Bering distro was named after this
"controlled passage".

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing