On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, CM Hood wrote:

> Why do directory listing calls to the web server fail when not ending in
> "/" when routed through the fire wall?  The same calls by computers
> behind the the firewall (not routed through the firewall) are handled
> without error.
>
> The directory listings are self created by the web server (xitami) so I
> cannot just edit all my web pages to add the extra "/".
>
> This only just now came up because I recently created a Bearing v1.0
> firewall/router to permit moving my web server "behind" the firewall
> rather than be "in" the firewall.  The firewall software used then the
> web server was in the firewall was the same "Shorewall' system.
>
> This seams like a "Shorewall" question rather than a "Bering" item but
> Shorewall recommends that these questions start here.

Smart Tom. :)

> Has anyone else noticed this?  Is there something I should try to make
> the problem go away?

This is a problem with your web server configuration.  The basic mechanism
is discussed many places, but [1] came up first when I googled.  You need
to make sure that the web server represents itself using the public
address rather than the private one.

For example the client might see:

   $ telnet somesite.com 80
   Trying 217.160.111.64...