On Sunday 29 December 2002 12:25 pm, you wrote:
> Thanks for the info!
>
> I looked through the document that you provided the link for and it
> tells me to do essentially what you stated below (opening the firewall
> and port forwarding), the only thing is... It does not really go into
> HOW to do it.

Well, I can't implicitly go into _exactly_ how to do it, since this is a
general howto that covers _any_ ipsec server setup on _any_ distro.
The _exact_ ways to open a firewall and port-forward ports through
is dependant on the _exact_ image/distro you are using......this varies
extremely between the LEAF variants themselves (ie... DF and Bering
are not similar in the least). However on the bright side, this information
for your exact setup are easily found by searching the leaf-user
mailing-list archives (try: ipsec pass-through Dachstein). Assume to
make minimal effort to find some of this FAQ information for yourself.
Shoot, the "Port-forwarding with Dachstein" FAQ I wrote in the
leaf/doc/faq section might help as well!  ;-)

> It stated editing the "/etc/ipsec.conf", but is this a
> file I need to ADD or is this somewhere in the configuration menu of the
> CD Distro? Where on the CD do I need to place this file
> ("\lib\modules\net")???

It doesn't state you need to edit "/etc/ipsec.conf" for pass-through
operation. If you read the configuration section under "pass-through",
it states that all you need to do is load the "ip_masq_ipsec.o" module.
"/etc/ipsec.conf" is the configuration file of the "ipsec.lrp" package,
which you have no use for since you are running pass-through.

> Do I need the "ipsec.o" module as stated below
> or the "ip_masq_ipsec.o" as stated in the documentation?

The ip_masq_ipsec.o module is what you need, since this helps
the ipsec implementation work correctly through NAT. If you have
looked in Charles' kernel modules, you will probably notice that
there is no "ipsec.o", only "ip_masq_ipsec.o". This module will
go into the "/lib/modules" directory on your DCD box and will
require that you call it from "/etc/modules" and save the
"modules" package.

I hope this helps,
~Lynn Avants