From: Charles Steinkuehler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 9:25 PM
To: Alec Miller
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] web server proxy (squid.lrp??)

Alec Miller wrote:
> Is there a package for Dachstein CD that can proxy incoming web addresses
> btw different web servers?
>
> incoming web requests get redirected to a specific web server based on the
> domain name rather than having all the domains on one server using host
> headers or virtual domains?
>
> i.e.  domain1.com / domain2.com / domain3.com --->  web server 1
>       domain4.com / domain5.com / domain6.com --->  web server 2
>

> I got one ip for my DMZ and have a couple servers in it but I want to use
> more than 1 server for serving WWW.

You're headed in the right direction looking for squid.  I think there
are LRP packages for squid, but I probably wouldn't install it on the
firewall box anyway.

Instead, I'd run squid or some other proxy on a box inside the firewall,
and simply port-forward all inbound web requests to that box.

Note that if one of your web-servers is apache, you might even be able
to configure it to proxy requests and fetch the data from your other
server using mod_proxy, but I haven't tried this exact setup personally,
  and there's nothing wrong with having squid and apache on the same box
(listening to different ports, of course).

--
Charles Steinkuehler