Chris wrote:
My system doesn't allow booting from a CD so I'm booting with a floppy and that seems to work fine, however after loading I don't get a login prompt. Instead it asks me to "Enter runlevel" I've tried putting in 1, 2, 3, and 5 but each returns the same message: "no more proccesses available on that runlevel" and then the system freezes.

What can I do about this?
This typically happens if the booting process doesn't load the etc package (etc.lrp). There are many reasons for why this can happen, but I think the most likely would be the system is not finding the CD-ROM drive.

The boot scripts should automatically identify IDE disk drives. If you have a SCSI CD-ROM, it should be found automatically as well, but you will have to install drivers for your SCSI card into root.lrp. If you have some other form of CD-ROM, like the old CD-ROMs with a proprietary interface, you will have to dig up drivers and install them into root.lrp (probably easier just to get an IDE drive).

It's also possible your IDE controller is at a non-standard address, which you may be able to fix by passing the kernel some parameters on boot (by editing the syslinux.cfg file on the floppy).

Other potential problems include a mis-configured syslinux.cfg file on the floppy (unlikely if you just burned an image of the bootdisk.bin file on the CD-ROM), an improperly burned CD image, or a CD-ROM that will not read CD-R or CD-RW media (whichever you're using).

Watch the boot logs carefully (you can scroll back & forth with <shift><page-up> and <shift><page-down>), and report anything that looks relevent, if you're still having problems.

--
Charles Steinkuehler