Wynne,

Ray did a good job with the general, low-level debugging
suggestions.  Unless you've made drastic setup changes, I expect
IP forwarding to already be enabled.  If that's the case, the
next place to check is firewall rules and policies.  The best
advice I can give is to keep a close eye on /var/log/syslog while
debugging.  Both

  tail -f /var/log/syslog

and

  shorewall status

can be invaluable.  You may also want to check the value of
FORWARDPING in /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf and "noping" and
"filterping" in /etc/shorewall/interfaces.  Failed pings are also
documented well in the shorewall docs.  Search for "ping" in the
FAQs and Troubleshooting documents at http://shorewall.net/ for
details.

Hope that helps get you started.

--Brad

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:23:21 PST Wynne Crompton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie, but would be grateful for help with the following:
>
> I set up the following isolated network in order to help learn/test my
> set-up of Bering 2.0.3:
>
> HOST  'far'   IP 1.2.3.1 running RH Linux 6.2
>               1.2.3.4/24
> Bering firewall
>               192.168.1.254/24
> HOST  'near'  IP 192.168.1.2 running RH Linux 7.3
>

> The Bering/Shorewall set-up is almost standard - I only changed what I
> believe is the necessary minimum.
> In th elong run I want to set up a link between two networks and do 1-to-1
> NAT (SNAT) for connections
> from specific machines on one network (with private IPs) to the other (with
> some allocated IPs on the second network
> for these machines).
> Some configuration file content and output debug from the three machines is
> appended. I apologise if this doesn't include something that's particularly
> significant...
>
> In a nutshell, I can ping the firewall from both near and far. I can also
> ping near
> and  far from the firewall. However I cannot ping far from near, but do not
> understand
> why not - Help please!

[setup details snipped]