On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:12:53 PST David wrote:

> Brad,
>
> I kinda thought I was vague. I just grabbed ftp.lrp
> and will install it tonight so I that can ftp off
> command output.

Sounds good.  More inline with generous snipping...

> No, I did not have ntfs.o loaded. fdisk did report the
> filesystem as HPFS/NTFS (or maybe it was NTFS/HPFS). I
> didn't realize they were the same. I assumed it was
> NTFS because the DoC did have embedded WinNT running
> on it. Do I need ntfs.o in order to wipe out the
> filesystem ?

Nope.  Only if you want to read it.  (The linux NTFS driver,
for practical purposes, is read only.)

> > How did it fail?  Were you partitioning it under WISP?  If
> > so, what modules were loaded at the time (lsmod) What were
> > the error messages?  (How else do you expect us to google for
> > answers? ;-)
>
> I did not remember the exact error messages. What is
> the best way to capture this info...nevermind I see
> there is a script.lrp, I will install it as well.

That will work.  (I usually use ssh in and then copy and paste
on the client machine.)

> >http://leaf.sf.net/devel/jnilo/budiskonchip.html#AEN1268
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I know for a fact I did see
> the "Possible DiskOnChip with unknown ChipID FF found
> at 0xc8000" type messages at boot. I also know I did
> not have the mkfs.msdos executable. I guess I need to
> install mkdosfs.lrp and will do so.

You won't need it to partition the DoC, but you will to
format it with a FAT__ filesystem.  IIRC, the fdisk.lrp
linked from that chapter includes mkfs.msdos.

> > One last question, what is the output (e.g. from
> > /var/log/syslog or the console) when the DoC-related
> > modules load?
>
> I will capture it and command output tonight and send
> a more informative message. Thanks for replying !

Sounds good.  The most important part is that you see a
line like this:

  DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0x_____

that shows your DoC was recognized and that "cat /proc/mtd"
shows an mtd0 device with the correct size.  If you can
read the partition table of the DoC using fdisk under WISP,
then all the driver modules should be fine and you can just
post the output from "cat /proc/mtd" so we know what type and
size DoC it is.

--Brad