> I have used "Public key authentication before" as described by
> http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.53b/htmldoc/Chapter8.html#8.  The
> user's  passwords were never enabled on the host.  A public key part of
> public/private key had to be supplied by each user desiring access to
> the host.  What bothers me is that root has to have a password.  All the
> other users are using public key authentication, but poor old root is
> just hanging out in the breeze.  I could not find a way to turn on
> public key authentication for root.  I played with /etc/securetty.

Public Key authentication is SSH specific. if you leave ssh out of the
equation, you don't get public key auth.

> wanted to disable remote access by root but allow another user to use
> public key to access the server, then su to root.

Here, you only have ssh for the remote access, but not for su, so no public
key possibility for su.
*Bad idea*
You could try to solve the su with ssh using public key auth. Which would
involve using a second sshd instance not reachable from outside and Agent
forwarding. First of all, lots of manpages.
*/Bad idea*
You could also try to make your su switch wihtout using a password. That
should be possible with an empty root pw.

On our LEAF boxen, we allow direct root login, but only using pubkey auth.
I move the public key file to a central location with the sshd_config lines

PermitRootLogin                 yes
AuthorizedKeysFile      /etc/ssh/pubkeys/%u.pub
PasswordAuthentication  no

Then a concatenate the public keys of all persons that are allowed access to
the fw in /etc/ssh/pubkeys/root.pub
This way, I don't have to share secret information (the root pw)
- Alex