On Tuesday 14 January 2003 08:40 am, Todd Pearsall wrote:

> I did a HW swat for that firewall because I needed the space for 3 NICs
> in the office so I swapped in a different PC.  The new box has different
> NICs in it (2 Linksys 100TX vs. the 2 ISA 3COM NICs in the old one) and
> the new one can't boot from the CD.

To extend Charles' statements, the Linksys 100TX has used 3 different
chipset versions of the tulip module. Many of the later revisions don't work
well with the stock driver, and some may actually use the "netsemi.o" module
instead (or work better with it). It may help to locate the actual revision
number off of the box (rev. 2.x, 4.x, and another later one IIRC).

There may also be issues with resource sharing on the PCI buss that will
require trying different PCI slots (cards not next to each other)..... the
cards don't share i/o and irq's well with each other.

Just a couople of thoughts.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall developer