On Thursday 23 January 2003 09:17 am, James Neave wrote:
> A few questions on VPN'ing with freeswan if I may.
>
> 1) Does anyone know of a good guide? I'm a complete linux newbie...

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/guitarlynn/ipsec.txt
and the "Bering Users Manual" in the ipsec section.

> 2) Is VPN'ing client server or peer-to-peer?

It's like a private cable connection, it doesn't do anything
with permissions....that's up to the boxes themselves and
NetBIOS/Buei or whatever.

> 3) Before I break anything again, is this possible?

For a single tunnel, yes.

> 4) Is there minimum spec for freeswan? My bering box is a P75 with 16Mb
> of RAM.

Not really, but the encryption/un-encryption takes a lot of CPU and RAM,
I would suggest a P166 w/32M+ if you have anything except minimal
traffic and more than one tunnel.

> 5) How many VPN tunnels could my box support? I'd like to try and link
> several home networks scattered around the UK     together.

I don't know, but it should handle quite a few depending on your hardware.

> 6) (Last one ;) My workplace is considering setting up VPN access to the
> work LAN now that a lot of us have broadband. Is it possible for my
> WinXP box to be connected to both VPNs through the bering box, but keep
> them separate?

Not if they're running IPSec. You can't use a box as a gateway and
portforward the same service.... the box can only do one or the other
on a given port (500).

I hope this helps!
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall developer