Support Requests item #617946, was opened at 2002-10-03 02:20
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=213751&aid=617946&group_id=13751

Category: Release/Branch: Bering
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hi, I am new to Linux (six months), and am trying to
setup a Linux Router using Bering_1.0-
rc3_img_bering_1680.exe. I have followed the Bering
Installation/Users Guide step-by-step to setup the router
using mostly default settings where possible. My
problem is that my local LAN (192.168.1.0/24) cannot
ping and/or connect to the Bering/Shorewall firewall?

The following is the configuration of my LAN at the
moment:

                     Win2000P                          Bering
                 +---------------+              +--------------------
+
   LAN2<---------| 192.168.72.74 |              |
eth0:65.95.176.193 |---> PPPoE/ADSL
                 |               |              |                    |
                 | 192.168.1.10  |<-xLink RJ45->|
eth1:192.168.1.254 |
                 |               |              |                    |
                 +---------------+              +--------------------
+

On the Bering LRP, I can ping (1) eth0, (2) eth1, and the
Internet, except when I tried to ping loc:192.168.1.10, I
receive the following message:

"PING 192.168.1.10 (192.168.1.10): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.1.10 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet
loss"

I think it is something to do with either (1) iptables or (2)
shorewall. But I don't have the necessary knowledge to
fix it.

Other information:

uname -a:
Linux firewall 2.4.18 #4 Sun Jun 9 09:46:15 CEST 2002
i486 unknown

ip addr show:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd
00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
2: dummy0: <BROADCAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc
noop
    link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc
pfifo_fast qlen 100
    link/ether 00:80:c8:35:c6:7b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc
pfifo_fast qlen 100
    link/ether 00:80:c8:93:ba:3a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.254/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global
eth1
5: ppp0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP> mtu
1492 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 3
    link/ppp
    inet 65.95.176.193 peer 65.95.176.1/32 scope global
ppp0

ip route show:
65.95.176.1 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src
65.95.176.193
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src
192.168.1.254
default via 65.95.176.1 dev ppp0

iptables -L:
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
ppp0_in    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
eth1_in    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
common     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG level info prefix `Shorewall:INPUT:REJECT:'
reject     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
TCPMSS     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
ppp0_fwd   ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
eth1_fwd   ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
common     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG level info prefix `Shorewall:FORWARD:REJECT:'
reject     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
state INVALID
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
fw2net     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
all2all    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
common     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG level info prefix `Shorewall:OUTPUT:REJECT:'
reject     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain all2all (3 references)
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
common     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG level info prefix `Shorewall:all2all:REJECT:'
reject     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain common (5 references)
icmpdef    icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
tcp flags:ACK/ACK
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
tcp flags:RST/RST
REJECT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
udp dpts:netbios-ns:netbios-ssn reject-with icmp-port-
unreachable
REJECT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
udp dpt:445 reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
reject     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
dpt:135
DROP       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
udp dpt:1900
DROP       ah   --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROP       ah   --  anywhere             BASE-
ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/4
reject     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
dpt:auth
DROP       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
udp spt:domain state NEW
DROP       ah   --  anywhere             192.168.1.255

Chain eth1_fwd (1 references)
loc2net    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain eth1_in (1 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp echo-request
loc2fw     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain fw2net (1 references)
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
state NEW tcp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
state NEW udp dpt:domain
all2all    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain icmpdef (1 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp echo-reply
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp source-quench
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp destination-unreachable
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp time-exceeded
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp parameter-problem

Chain loc2fw (1 references)
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere
state NEW udp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
state NEW tcp dpt:www
all2all    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain loc2net (1 references)
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain net2all (2 references)
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
common     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG level info prefix `Shorewall:net2all:DROP:'
DROP       ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ppp0_fwd (1 references)
net2all    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ppp0_in (1 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
icmp echo-request
net2all    ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain reject (6 references)
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with tcp-reset
REJECT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain shorewall (0 references)

/var/log/messages:
Nothing unusual!

Ping -c 2 google.com (from LRP):
PING google.com (216.239.35.100): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 216.239.35.100: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51
time=138.8 ms
64 bytes from 216.239.35.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51
time=136.2 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet
loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 136.2/137.5/138.8 ms

PS Sorry for the length of this posting!