-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Julian Church
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 10:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] tracing spoofed IPs?

At 09:51 29/01/03 -0600, Joey Officer wrote:

>Jan 29 11:23:47 firewall kernel: Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=17
>10.51.192.1:67 255.255.255.255:68 L=350 S=0x00 I=25217 F=0x0000 T=255 (#8)

What you have there is just "static" from your ISP, that you can safely put
in silent deny.

Your ISP's DHCP server is replying to an IP address request from one of
their customers.  At this stage in the IP lease negotiation, the recipient
has no IP address, so broadcast addresses are required and consequently the
packets turn up in lots of places they're not needed.

Although it can seem odd to find to see packets bearing source addresses in
this range on your external interface, it's not uncommon for ISP's to use
RFC1918 IP's to host this kind of service.

regards

Julian

www.ljchurch.co.uk