Hi Peter,

--On Wednesday, January 29, 2003 3:14 PM -0800 Peter Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I read somewhere that Shorewall was not capable of being removed from
Bering.  Unfortunately I couldn't locate this post in a quick few minutes.
I checked the Bering documentation and didn't find a reference, therefore
I'm pretty sure this was found through Google (archive of this mailing
list?).  I hope knowing what was on my mind re:shorewall package you
understand where I was coming from a little more.
It's certainly possible -- no other package in Bering depends directly on Shorewall and some folks want to use Bering as a simple router.

I'll submit what I have when I have completed it.  If people find it
useful and have suggestions I'll try to help in whatever way I can.  It
would be nice to have such fame that 1000's of people would download it
but I bet the only one that downloads it is me and a few other linux
flash router people. ;)

You're right -- it is so simple that I can't understand why anyone
struggles "with learning shorewall on these systems"... :-)
Lol.  Well it is very important for my company to use existing setups &
concepts where possible.  I looked at Shorewall and it doesn't seem to
offer any significant advantage for my company other than being
pre-integrated into LRP.  Why should I learn a new firewall system if we
already have iptables working and "under the belt"?
You shouldn't.

More importantly why
should I create documentation for the rest of the people here and then
force them to learn this system?  It seems that in my case Shorewall is a
program that introduces a very good potential for human error and adds
complexity to a project that doesn't need more complexity.  In this
project KISS is my motto.  Again, we're talking about in my case only.
I'm sure 99.9999% of the people are different and Shorewall is good for
them.
I'm sure you're right. When I responded to your post, I wanted to be sure that the costs of "rolling your own" were clear. In your case where you already have your own ruleset and are familiar with LRP packaging, those costs are significantly reduced.

Good luck with your project.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep \ Shorewall - iptables made easy
Shoreline, \ http://www.shorewall.net