Possibly a daft question, but is the partition active?

I've had this sort of thing happen before when I create partitions and
forget to make them active.

If you're not sure, use fdisk on a DOS floppy to check and set it if you
need to. IIRC the partition has a A next to it.

You can use a linux fdisk if you prefer.