Jay,

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:21:24 +1100 Jay Langford wrote:

> I was recently contacted by the admin of my NTP service who informed me that
> he had been receiving a large increase in NTP requests from various sources
> to his servers lately. (Note: I did contact him before I started using his
> service.)
>
> I've checked the documentation on
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/documentation.html but can't seem to find out
> where I can check (and decrease if necessary) the poll intervals.. does
> anyone know where I should be looking....

Not positive, but "maxpoll":

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/html/confopt.html

might do what you want.

> Also: Is it possible to use ntpdate to update my routers time once (say in
> the morning) and get ntpsimpl to look at the system (cmos) clock instead of
> polling the servers listed in ntpsimpl config files... If so, can someone
> point me in the right direction to achieving this I would be most
> appreciative..

Again this is mostly speculation, but...

Commenting out the "server" directives in ntp.conf should prevent
ntpd from polling other servers.  I assume (but you know what they
say about that) ntpd uses the local system time when there are no
external servers to consult.  A line like:

  04 20   * * *   root    ntpdate some.ntp.server && hwclock --systohc

in /etc/crontab will sync your system and hardware clocks with
some.ntp.server every morning at 4:20am.

--Brad