At 12:06 PM 2/8/03 -0500, Kevin wrote:
Thanks Ray and yes I agree with you about the software companies.

Yes I am using NAT with Ipchain rules.

I did find this on the net about ACCEPT'ing everything

ipchains -F input && ipchains -P input ACCEPT
ipchains -F output && ipchains -P output ACCEPT
ipchains -F forward && ipchains -P forward ACCEPT

ran each line at the prompt of the box and still was not able to connect, so
I am now thinking it is a software feature.
No, it is not a software "feature" (whichever of several things you may mean by that). When you changed the forward chain (in your third line above), you turned NAT'ing off in the router. With these settings, it should not let your workstation access the Internet at all (since you say you normally use NAT).

Depending on what you have the forward-chain doing (often, default forward chains with ipchains just do the NAT'ing, and the input chain provides the real firewall protection), you *might* find it worth trying just the first 2 changes, to see if that has the effect you need.

I even used a dial-up internet access account to try that and still no luck
with uploading. Guess it is time to find another vendor or way to e-file my
taxes.
I assume you mean here a connection that did not involve the LEAF router. In that case, whatever the problem might be, it clearly does not involve LEAF, so I won't speculate.

[old stuff deleted]