Chris..

What you propose is likely do-able--- some of it fairly straightforward, other parts more complex. Trying to support a wireless client as well as a router/firewall from the same wireless interface could be troublesome. Note that we used Orinoco 802.11b adapters, which would not be suitable if you intend to configure the Bering box as a wireless bridge.

For a discussion on building a point-to-point (Ad-hoc mode) wireless link with routing and IPSEC encryption on a Bering platform, you may wish to read an article that I co-authored at http://wireless.psenicka.ca

Also, check out the WISP-Dist variant of Bering for details on how to do wireless bridging.

As for cautionary notes and comments...

1. Be wary of the "hidden - node" phenomena.... Ad-hoc mode devices should all be "visible" to each other, else you will have problems.

2. Hardware selection will also be a key factor... especially if you need to implement an AP style bridge. Not all wireless NICs will work in AP mode.

3. Consider using WEP ... with or without IPSEC. It is not totally secure, but it does offer an extra layer of protection.

-------------- original note attached below ---------------------

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this to all these lists because each set of readers can no
doubt give excellent advice concerning areas of the project.

Here goes...

I decided to get off of DSL at home, lose my landline in favor of just
my cell, and get my broadband via cable. My cable comes in down in the
living room, but my home office is on the other end of the house,
upstairs. I don't want to run either cable or ethernet all that way, but
I'm a little concerned about the insecurity of wireless networks.
I'm building a new Shorewall firewalled LEAF router from a
shoebox-sized SBC that I ended up buying from a guy who posted here on
Shorewall-Users last week. That will reside down at the cable
entry-point down in the living room.
My current router, an old Micron P-133 running LEAF Bering lives in my
home office, and currently gets it's Internet from DSL. I'm thinking I
can put a wireless NIC in both the new SBC router, and another in the
Micron and use IPSec to encrypt the trasnsfer of wireless packets from
the living room to the office. Also, I would like to be able to access
the Internet from a laptop with a wireless card from within the house
while not on the switch.
I would do NAT on the SBC and simply route on the Micron. I'm
experienced with LEAF, Shorewall, and FreeS/WAN, but am a wireless
ethernet newbie. Has anyone out there done this type of thing, and if so
is there any info/documentation/advice you can throw my way? Is it as
straightforward as I think it is?

Here's the obligatory ASCII art...

+--+ +--+ +--+
| | | | | |