I had never considered the remote end.  Just for grins I put
overridemtu=1200 on the remote end ipsec.conf and low and behold data
transfers!!!

I suspect I have patched the problem, but not addressed it.  Does this
change any of the steps I should be doing to continue troubleshooting or
should I just tweak the remote overridemtu=1200 until I find the max
that works?

Thank you Charles for a huge chunk of your time!!!

- Todd